Thursday, October 22, 2009

Narrowing my area of focus.

 

Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes.  It’s been a while since I have posted anything to my blog.  It’s not that I don’t have things to say, it’s that I have been lazy and haven’t taken the time to write about things.  I think we all get this way at least on occasions for some people.

To help catch you up on what’s been going on, about 3 weeks ago, I went to KC to a conference for my business and since then I have been focusing on 3 things that I intend to change each day over the rest of Oct, Nov. and Dec.  I am going to share these with you now in order to add accountability for myself.  I invite you to check in with me to see how things are going.

The first area is to stop making excuses in my life.  During some soul searching over a 4 hour drive back from KC, I realized that I still make excuses for why I haven’t grown my business to where it should be.  I have been using the excuses, that “I’m too busy” and that “I didn’t have time”.  It’s not that I was too busy or didn’t have time, I just wasn’t focuses on the things that will grow my business and making them a priority.

The second focus is to at least one new personal contact each day.  Making a new friend and potential client each day will greatly increase me as a person and help my business.  As you know networking is something that we all need to do to grow ourselves and our business.

The final area of focus for me is to study every day and grow personally.  I recently read and article that talked about the 10,000 hour rule.  This rule says that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to become an expert in whatever you are doing.  I admit that I haven’t done this everyday and by not doing so, I have lengthened the time it will take me to get my 10,000 hours.

Well those are my short term goals and areas of focus and what I have been doing the last couple of weeks.  By narrowing my focus to just three things, I can focus like a laser beam and make big changes in a short period of time, oh yeah, and it’s also easy to remember just three things instead of a laundry list of things.

Take care and God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Focus really seems to be the key to doing anything worthwhile in life. I applaud you for taking the time to think about focusing on some areas in your life to improve.

    The 10,000 hour "rule" comes from the book "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. I definitely recommend the book if you haven't read it already.

    ReplyDelete